Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Julie & Julia

I confess, I own Julia Child's masterpiece and yet I have never cooked a single recipe from it. Blasphemy, I'm sure. The quantities of butter and cream and wine and sugar just never seem to mesh with my nutritional needs at the time. Julia Child But my lack of first-hand knowledge of Julia did not keep me from running to the theater to see "Julie and Julia" when it hit the movie screens last weekend. For anyone unfamiliar with the plot, Amy Adams plays Julie Powell who decides to blog about a yearlong adventure of cooking her way through all 500+ recipes in Julia Child's tome. Interspersed with her tale is Meryl Streep brilliantly as Julia Child during the early years of her marriage and the development of her famous cookbook. If you're looking for a little inspiration on how to live life to the fullest, if you'd like a sweet romantic tale times two, and if you'd like to enjoy several wonderful chuckles, this is definitely the film for you. I think any bloggers out there especially will find plenty of entertaining bits, but really, do you need that much of an excuse to see Meryl and Stanley Tucci together on screen again?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed it hits DVD before next Valentine's Day. I think it will be just the right excuse to blow the dust off this book and finally cook my sweetie a Julia-inspired heart-stopping meal and we'll have our own home based "Dinner and a Movie" date. I can't think of a more perfect fit.

1 comment:

  1. My aunt found a really old copy of this book and gave it to me for Christmas one year. I didn't even realize what it was! I have yet to cook out of it, but now have been inspired to!

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited to hear what you have to say. Just remember the rules of the playground and play nice!