Thursday, August 6, 2009

A most perfect twirling uniform

I have wanted to try my hand at dressmaking ever since the peanut arrived. Until now, I've always been a little petrified of the curves naturally involved in such a project. The very thought of sleeves and necklines put me into a cold sweat. I took one look at Portobello Pixie's Claire dress and knew I had found the project worth trying out this adventure. Lucky lady that I am, I happened to win this pattern from a giveaway over at the Fat Quarter Shop. The timing and prize could not have been more perfect. I just managed to put the final touches on the dress this afternoon and we gave it a spin in the front yard: Summer dress I love the bow in the back and that sweet little apron. The skirt is so full and made perfect for twirling. Summer dress The peanut has referred to this as her "Pretty Princess Dress" and lit up the room when she was finally allowed to put it on. Now that I've finished my first dress, I can honestly say this was way easier than I ever imagined! I hit a few little stumbling blocks but managed to figure things out in the end. I can safely recommend this pattern for anyone out there interested in trying clothing that hasn't before. I'll be making other versions of this dress in the coming months, this was more of my "practice" model. Now I think I need to get my hands on the ruffle pants she offers, too! This was the perfect little mental break between quilting projects in my opinion. It was fast enough to not get me off schedule and has fantastic payoff. Can't wait to plan out another outfit soon.

5 comments:

  1. That turned out beautiful!!! Makes me want to get a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff! This is so adorable!!! When are you going to open your Etsy shop!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on it!! She is so adorable in her Pretty Princess Dress :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just precious! I want one in my size. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing, I need to work on my knitting and we can barter services. I think the peanut needs a little white cabled cardigan to go with her fabulous new dress for those chilly summer nights!

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited to hear what you have to say. Just remember the rules of the playground and play nice!